Our International Student Immigration Advisor and student services department are ready to support you regarding your questions related to immigration and life in Canada as an international student.

We support your immigration needs by:

For questions, please contact Donnaa Fredrick, Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Amanda Fan, RCIC our International Student Immigration Advisors with ILAC.

Important Update for Georgian at ILAC May 2024 Students!

Your official program start date is May 6, 2024! The recent announcement from IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will not impact your eligibility for post-graduation work permits. That’s right – you’re still on track to pursue exciting career opportunities after graduation!

As always, stay informed and explore all your options. Your journey doesn’t end here – it’s just beginning! Dream Big!

For more details and updates, visit the IRCC website

Play Video

Language Test Options for SDS applicants expanded

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced the acceptance of language test results from four additional exams for Student Direct Stream (SDS) applicants, effective August 10, 2023. Previously, only IELTS General and IELTS Academic were approved. The newly eligible tests are CELPIP General, CAEL, PTE Academic, and TOEFL iBT Test. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Minimum score requirements include Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for CELPIP General speaking abilities, 60 for CAEL and Pearson PTE Academic, and 83 for TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based Test). TOEFL iBT is administered over the internet and must be taken from a designated testing location. Students must take the tests at regulated and official test centres only.

Important updates to processing

TRV applications will now have a processing time of 30 days moving forward.

IRCC update

The Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) and the Federal Government of Canada have successfully reached an agreement, ensuring a smoother experience for international students interested in studying in Canada. Measures have been implemented to address disruptions in response and processing times within the IRCC. There might still be some minor delays in working towards full restoration in IRCC operations, but ILAC remains committed to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for students pursuing their educational dreams in Canada.

Immigration FAQ

An international student with a study permit (temporary resident) may apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident and student is extended by law until a decision is made and they can continue under the conditions of their previous permit. The date and time of receipt are important for determining if status is maintained, note this is in universal time

You should apply to renew your study permit at least 30 days before it expires. This will ensure that you have enough time to submit your application and that you can continue to legally study in Canada while your application is being processed.

Yes, you can continue to study in Canada while your study permit renewal application is being processed you are on maintained status if you have submitted your application before your current permit expires and you previously held a study permit (i.e., extension of student status). You can check the status of your application online and print a receipt to show as proof of your legal status.


Yes. Two valid permits can be maintained – ONLY the study permit is valid for study.

If the extension application is rejected, the applicant is in status until their existing temporary resident status expires, after which they must leave the Canada or restore their status for an additional fee and apply again. Maintained status does not apply to applicants who are re-applying after a rejection. Students are responsible for regularly updating sales agents on the status of their application.

Application for a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) or spouse work permit or extending visitor visa/record will not substitute an application for study permit, that is REQUIRED for any study in Canada longer than 24 weeks (6 months maximum)

Yes, it is highly recommended that the student Contact the Office of International Student Immigration Advising at ILAC and seek assistance to apply for an amendment especially if there are errors noted in the Study Permit such as the wrong DLI, location employer, etc. They will be required to complete a Request to Amend Valid Temporary Resident Documents or Information Contained in the Confirmation of Permanent Residence found on and send by mail to Operations Support Centre (OSC) 365 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

If you have applied for a study permit extension before your current study permit expired in UTC time, you will be eligible to continue under maintained status until a decision is made on your application for study permit extension. Review the FAQ on what it means to have maintained status.

Yes, you can leave Canada while your study permit renewal application is being processed. However, you will need to ensure that you have a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA) if you are from a visa-exempt country and plan to return to Canada.

Yes, you should still submit applications for co-op work permit or PGWP if you are eligible.

No, students cannot start co-op without a work permit. You may be able to participate in Co-op without a co-op work permit if your study permit application was submitted before October 7th, 2022, contact the Office of International Student Immigration advising to confirm this exemption.

You can work full-time if you have submitted your application before your current study permit expires, and within the 180 days since your letter of completion becomes available

We are located at 655 Bay St Fanshawe Toronto Campus and 425 Bloor Street East Georgian College Campus. We do campus visits, and drop-in workshops and immigration information pop-up table come say hi! Or email us directly to schedule an appointment with one of our Immigration advisors.

Once your student visa (study permit) is approved you need to:

  1. Check if you are eligible to travel and have a valid travel document (passport) along with your original letter of acceptance, and your Port of Entry (POE letter) also known as your study permit approval letter confirming that you have been approved for study in Canada. Check for any travel restrictions in Canada on We host pre-arrival orientations online before you will travel to Canada, you are highly encouraged to attend these sessions along with the in-person orientations once you land in Canada.

You should apply to renew your study permit at least 30 days before it expires. This will ensure that you have enough time to submit your application and that you can continue to legally study in Canada while your application is being processed.

Yes, this is a legal requirement. A student's study permit must be valid for the entire program duration, and must be extended if it ends earlier, along with the co-op work permit, if applicable.

With the LOA confirming coop term, and the co-op letter provided by the college, the officer at the border if convinced may issue the students the co-op work permit at the border.

If not able to get their permit at the border they can also apply online contact the Office of International Student Immigration advising for assistance or visit the link below for more information

Your spouse, common-law partner and/or dependent children can accompany you to Canada during your studies. You must show that you are a genuine student enrolled in study and have enough funds to support yourself and your accompanying family members for the duration of your studies. It is recommended that you apply together at the time of your study permit application by selection “yes” to the question Do you want to apply for a family member?”

If you are already in Canada and looking to invite your spouse to join your you must provide proof of being actively enrolled in study and have completed at least one semester successfully.

As a student in a eligible PGWP program, you can work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions. Students may not work until they have commenced their program of study. They must commence studies in Canada at a DLI before being eligible to work off campus.

Students can work with no cap on hours during regularly scheduled breaks between academic sessions regardless of their course load. Students on an unscheduled break because of a failure cannot work until they resume a full-time course load.

There is a temporary policy in place allowing students who applied before October 07, 2022 for a study permit to IRCC to study and work with no cap on hours, until the end of December 31, 2023 or until their current study permit expires, whichever comes first.

Foreign Representatives in Canada ( Find your country’s local consulate or embassy and renew in advance'.

In the case of a failure, you may have to take an unscheduled break by informing Immigration and the Registrars Office to complete the failed courses. This may also prompt the need to extend your study permit.

-           If your break will be longer than 150 days, you will be no longer considered as actively pursuing studies and must contact the Immigration advisor to discuss your options

-           International students are NOT authorized to work in Canada during a leave of absence. You can remain in Canada on your break. Working without authorization in Canada can have a serious impact on future immigration applications.

-           Should you wish to resume your studies you will have to ensure your study permit is still valid, and apply for an extension if required

-           if enrolled in less than an 70% course load (4 classes or less, the student will be considered as on an unscheduled break in study (even if technically studying part-time). The student must prove they continued to actively pursue studies and will explain the reason for the unscheduled break when applying for PGWP.

Students who have completed a program of study and plan to start a new program of study must ensure to do this within 150 days of receiving a written confirmation of program completion from their current institution.

Students MAY begin to work on full-time basis until the start of their new program ONLY IF the following applies:


  1. have received written confirmation of program completion from their current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter of successful completion)
  2. have applied to change conditions, extend their stay or remain in Canada as a student before their current study permit expired, or still have a valid study permit
  3. have been issued a letter of acceptance to a subsequent program of full-time study at a DLI and will be starting the new program within 150 calendar days of receiving a notification of program completion from their current institution